Cranberries are in a group of fruits that is exceptionally antioxidant. Used for many years as a natural agent for urinary tract infection treatment. Helps the human body lower cholesterol levels in the blood and prevents plaque formation on the tooth. So in short cranberries are good for you.
Due to favorable effects on the body, they should be an integral part of a healthy menu, and it is recommended to enjoy them as often as possible.
|Principle||Nutrient Value||Percentage of RDA|
|Total Fat||0.13 g||<1%|
|Dietary Fiber||4.6 g||12%|
Cranberries (Vaccinium macrocarpon), Fresh, ORAC score 9584, Nutritive Value per 100 grams. (Source: USDA National Nutrient database)
Healthy urinary tract
Cranberries contain a substance called proanthocyanins. What that does is – inhibition of bacterial adhesion on your bladder wall. So, bacteria cannot reproduce.
Two glasses of cranberry juice a day is sufficient for beneficial effects.
A rich source of antioxidants.
Besides, proanthocyanidins cranberries also contain other phytochemicals, of which they have a specific antioxidant ability. It is known, that antioxidants in the body neutralize the effect of free radicals, which are the leading causes of many diseases like cancer or vascular disease. Cranberries are for their antioxidants placed on the top as one of the healthiest fruits.
Cranberries can be eater fresh, dried or you can enjoy their juice. They are a great addition to cereal, yogurt, cottage cheese, various salads and more. Examples of healthy and delicious recipes that include cranberry below.
What are Cranberries Good For! – Recipes
Stuffed Cabbage with Cranberry and Tomato Sauce
- 1 can Whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 can Diced tomatoes with onion and garlic
- 1/2 cup Golden raisin
- 1/3 cup Firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Fresh lemon juice
- 1,5 lb. lean ground Beef
- 1/3 cup Uncooked parboiled rice
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 tsp. Ground All-Spice
- Salt and Pepper
- 12 Savoy cabbage leaves
In a large slow cooker, combine the cranberry sauce, tomatoes, raisins, sugar, and lemon juice.
In a large bowl, combine the beef, rice, egg, allspice, one tsp salt, and 1/3 tsp pepper. Roll the mixture up in the cabbage leaves (about 1/4 cup per sheet) and place seam side down in the slow cooker, nestling them in the sauce.
Cook, covered until the cabbage is tender and the meat mixture is cooked through.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Quinoa, Kale, Dried Cranberries, and Feta
- 3 Sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 5 tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Dried quinoa rinsed under cold water
- ½ cup Bunch Tuscan kale thinly sliced
- ½ cup Dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup Crumbled feta
- Preheat oven to 425° and cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Arrange sweet potatoes on the baking sheet, then drizzle with two tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and roast until golden and tender, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine quinoa and 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, 5 minutes more. Scoop quinoa onto a paper towel-lined baking sheet to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, sweet potatoes, kale, and cranberries. In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar and remaining three tablespoons olive oil. Drizzle vinaigrette over salad, tossing gently to combine. Season with salt and pepper and stir in feta just before serving.
Cranberry, Feta and Walnut Salad
- 2 cups mixed salad greens I use leaf lettuce, endive, and radicchio
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup walnut pieces toasted
- 2 tb balsamic vinegar
- 1 tb honey
- 1 ts Dijon mustard
- 1 ts round black pepper
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil extra virgin
- Toss greens, cranberries, cheese and walnuts in large bowl.
- Mix vinegar, honey, mustard and pepper with wire whisk until well blended.
- Gradually add oil, continually whisking until well blended.
- Pour over salad; toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.